Chris led us today, with much help and assistance, as we explored the theme of education. Joseph read from the psalms, and Glenda rose to the challenge of reading from Nehemiah 8.
During the service there were interviews with Camilla Shepherd, the Acting Headteacher of St Edward’s Primary, and our SWYM worker Libby Marsh. They both gave us much insight into their roles within education, and the particular things that encourage and support them in their work.
St Edward’s has been involved with education for almost 250 years, the first school having been founded by Rev John Julian in the walled garden of the former Vicarage. The teachers, mostly ladies of some standing in the community, gave their time voluntarily. Vicarage land was then released for the National (Church) School to be built on what is now Church Hill, near the junction of Shirburn Road in 1847 until, in 1971, the present St Edward’s CE Primary School was opened on Fort Austin Avenue. Our links with education have steadily grown and we now have involvement with the newly opened St Matthew’s Primary Academy, Marjon and Pre-Schools as well as contacts with the other educational establishments in the Parish.