Caring for the Vulnerable
Many of our congregation members fall into the ‘vulnerable’ categories as defined by Public Health England (i.e. over 70 and/or with additional health concerns) and so we are trying to support those and other people in the wider community as best we can by giving:
- Regular phone calls to vulnerable church members (and others we have telephone numbers for). We also would like to be a place you can call for support if you would like to: Vicar – Chris Routledge (01752) 781 564 // Admin – Julian Payne (01752) 344 632 – if you would like to assist us in this or need assistance yourself please contact Julian Payne (01752) 344 632
- Food/medicine pick up/deliveries: this is available to members of the Church or the wider community of any age – we don’t want anyone to feel cut off when you are self-isolating – Please call Julian (admin) on 01752 344 632. We are also partnering with Eggbuckland Stores and their community volunteer team. You can also call them on 01752 789 544. Call either number – We are working together with them and others to ensure we all can best support people in the Eggbuckland area. If you would like to offer help please call either number too.
- Food Bank & Debt Support: It is encouraging to hear the Government seeking to put plans together to support those whose jobs are under threat and because of the impact of the virus as well as families on lower incomes. However, there may be those who slip through that net or need additional support. We are working with North Plymouth Food Bank to provide a Food Bank Access in Eggbuckland for those who would need this – Please call the Vicar: Rev Chris Routledge on 01752 781 564 for assistance in the first instance.
- Prayer: As a Christian Community, we know the power of prayer in the middle of difficulties – we would love to pray for anyone who is ill, struggling with isolation and needing help at this time – Please email prayers to firstname.lastname@example.org
These services are open to anyone in the Eggbuckland area regardless of whether you are a church-goer or not.
Doing ‘Church’ differently…
The writer of the letter to the Hebrews, in a time of intense persecution and adversity, urges the Christian community to keep going:
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Though we are not meeting in person as a church, it is important that we still ‘meet’ in some way during this time. Below are some of the ways we are seeking to offer and build Christian Community during these very unusual circumstances
PRAY – Prayer & Worship
- Extended Weekly Notice Sheet: this is a place that you can send in news stories, updates and find out what is happening etc. We will also be providing a reading, reflection, hymn and prayer for you to read on Sunday at 9.30 am, or whenever you would like to, as a way of ‘worshipping together’ even though we are not physically present. The link will be placed here when available
- Facebook Live services: We are working on trying to stream as normal a service as possible for congregations to watch at the usual times (or at a more convenient time). The link will be placed here when available
- Daily Prayer: Morning and Evening Prayer will be said, during which emailed-in or telephoned-in prayer requests will be prayed for. This may also be streamed on Facebook and will also have a Zoom meeting group in which people can ‘attend’ and participate. This will hopefully create structure in the day for people who are self-isolating, especially for extended periods of time and be an encouraging time of prayer together (if physically apart!)
GROW – Discipleship and Sharing faith
Please join in with the worship and prayer opportunities above. Additionally, we encourage members of the church to ‘meet up’ through phone calls, skype, WhatsApp and Zoom where ever possible. If you would like assistance to access the free software that is available please contact Julian on 01752 344 632 or Chris on 01752 781 564. Organised opportunities are below:
LENT COURSE: ‘Everybody Welcome’ Wednesday evenings 7.30 pm
Topic: Lent Course (Everybody Welcome) Zoom Meeting
Join Zoom Meeting – click the link below
SERVE – Serving the Community with Joy
If you can help in any way – phone calls to each other and the vulnerable, prayer and deliveries, please do let us know – you can call Julian on 01752 344 632 or email email@example.com or call Chris on 01752 781 564 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eggbuckland Community Choir
Our community choir is continuing to spread joy through song online using the Zoom app. Please click on the link below to join on alternate Thursdays
Topic: Eggbuckland Community Choir Zoom Meeting
Time: Thursday April 2nd 2020
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 914 585 0432